Thursday, January 9, 2014

NY - City correction officer (Giovanny Campos) arrested for having sexual contact with teen girl he met at a party

To serve and protect?Original Article

01/08/2014

By JOE STEPANSKY and THOMAS TRACY

Cops busted a city correction officer after he molested a 16-year-old girl he met at a party, officials said Wednesday.

Giovanny Campos, 41, was nabbed in Queens on Tuesday night and charged with endangering the welfare of a child and having sexual contact with an individual under 17.

Campos met the 16-year-old at a party thrown by the teen's family - and she told him she was 18, he told investigators.

Campos took the girl's number and fondled her on a date about three days later, officials said.

Campos' arraignment was pending Wednesday afternoon.


MT - Ex-Mineral County juvenile probation officer (James Stewart Myers) jailed in child sex sting

To serve and protect?
Original Article

01/09/2014

By Kathryn Haake

One of seven suspects arrested in a child sex sting operation worked as the juvenile probation officer in Mineral County and as a sheriff’s deputy in California, the Missoula County Attorney’s Office confirmed Wednesday.

James Stewart Myers was taken into custody Dec. 18 after he allegedly gave $100 to an undercover detective as pre-payment for a sexual encounter with a 12-year-old girl, during a sex-sting operation led by the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force.

Chief Juvenile Probation Officer Glen Welch, who oversees both Missoula and Mineral counties’ juvenile probation officers, said Myers worked in the office for about seven years before retiring about six months ago. Now the office is “investigating to make sure there haven’t been prior problems with the kids up there,” Welch said.

He also said Myers was a good employee while he worked for the state, but refused to comment further about the ongoing investigation.

A representative from the San Bernardino County (Calif.) Sheriff’s Department confirmed that Myers worked there prior to his employment in Montana, but declined to comment further due to personnel privacy issues.

Deputy Missoula County Attorney Jason Marks also declined to comment on the specifics of the case.

To my knowledge, at this point there is nothing that would lead to additional charges,” Marks said.

During the sex sting, law enforcement officers posted advertisements on Backpage and Craigslist purporting to be a woman willing to make her 12-year-old relative available for sexual encounters.

Myers was one of seven people who allegedly made arrangements to have such an encounter with the child and traveled to the address used by undercover officers. According to the affidavit, Myers was given a choice of a 12-year-old girl or a 15-year-old girl, and chose the 12-year-old upon his arrival.

Myers appeared in Justice Court on Dec. 20 after he was released from the Missoula County jail on $50,000 bail. His arraignment on a felony child sex abuse charge is set for Jan. 21 at 9:45 a.m. before Missoula County District Judge Karen Townsend.

The sting was a joint operation between the Missoula Police Department, Missoula County Sheriff’s Department and the Flathead County Sheriff’s Department.


AL - Tentative trial date set for ex-Madison cop (William Dale Watson) accused of sexual abuse

William Dale Watson
William Dale Watson
Original Article

01/09/2014

By Jean Cole

ATHENS - A former Madison police officer charged with 17 counts of sexual abuse may be tried in February in Limestone County.

William Dale Watson is listed on the Feb. 10 trial docket in Limestone County Circuit Court. However, Limestone County District Attorney Brian Jones said his office might deal with other pending cases before the Watson case. If so, the Watson trial would be rescheduled, Jones said.

Watson’s trial had been set for Nov. 18, 2013, but was postponed so the district attorney’s office could address older pending cases.

Initially charged in 2012

A Limestone County grand jury formally charged Watson in January 2013 on 13 felony counts of sexual abuse of a child under age 12 and with four misdemeanor counts of second-degree sexual abuse of a child under age 16, according to court records. The latter charge involved one or more girls over age 12 but under age 16, the district attorney said.

Jones has said the charges involve multiple girls whom Watson knew.

Watson pleaded not guilty to all 17 counts and remains free on bail of $300,000.

If convicted, he faces a minimum sentence of 10 years on each of the felony charges and from zero to 1 year on the misdemeanor charges.

Watson, who was placed on administrative leave after his initial arrest, resigned from the police department in August 2012. He had been in law enforcement 13 years.


MI - Woman (Mikayla Lynn Zachman-Clark) lied about being raped

Mikayla Lynn Zachman-Clark
Mikayla Lynn Zachman-Clark
Original Article

01/08/2014

By MATT TROUTMAN

TRAVERSE CITY - A Traverse City woman faces a criminal charge after authorities said she lied about being drugged and raped by her ex-boyfriend.

Mikayla Lynn Zachman-Clark, 18, is charged with making a false report of a felony. She told authorities her ex-boyfriend sexually assaulted her on Oct. 3, but eventually told a Grand Traverse County sheriff’s detective the story wasn’t true, according to the police report.

Grand Traverse County Prosecutor Bob Cooney said authorities take false accusations of criminal sexual conduct seriously. He didn’t specifically comment on Zachman-Clark’s case.

It’s so important that we don’t let a case like this undermine the confidence in those other cases,” Cooney said. “I think it’s very important to prosecute cases where someone makes up an allegation of criminal sexual conduct.”

Zachman-Clark was arraigned Monday in 86th District Court. She didn’t return a call for comment.

The police report states Zachman-Clark accused her ex-boyfriend of forcing a pill down her throat and raping her for 15 minutes outside a Keystone Road auto repair shop. She told a detective she was unconscious but still recalled details about the assault.

Zachman-Clark also claimed her ex-boyfriend stole her credit card at some point, left the shop after assaulting her and returned 15 minutes later with “huge bags of jewelry for his girlfriend.”

But the detective quickly noted “contradictions” in Zachman-Clark’s story and found two other witnesses’ recollections “very conflicting,” the report states. The detective eventually confronted Zachman-Clark, told her “nothing seems to add up” and asked if she knew the consequences for lying to police, according to the report.

Mikayla insisted that this is the way it happened, and she wanted to proceed,” the report states.

Additional interviews with Zachman-Clark’s friends, family members and an official at Traverse City West High School contradicted portions of her story or raised doubts about her credibility. In November, Zachman-Clark admitted to lying about the rape, according to the police report.

Mikayla told me that she was mad at (her ex-boyfriend) and the sexual assault never happened,” the police report states. “Mikayla insisted that she was being 100 percent honest with me now.”

Cooney said false rape accusations are rare in Grand Traverse County. In October 2012, Shai Lee Mallory, 18, pleaded guilty to making a false report of a misdemeanor after investigation found she fabricated an account of being raped.

Zachman-Clark faces up to four years in prison. A preliminary exam is scheduled for Jan. 16.


NH - ALERT: Serial killer targeting registered sex offenders in New Hampshire

Bloody Murder
Original Article

Just more examples of why the online hit-list needs to be taken offline and used by police, or deleted all together!

01/01/2014

By Jeremy J. Olson

There is a serial killer at large in Keene, New Hampshire. The killer is targeting individuals whose names and addresses appear on New Hampshire’s Registry of Criminal Offenders and whose residences are pinpointed on the Keene Police Department’s online “CrimeReports” map. This killer has struck twice in the past three months, killing one man and severely maiming another. Citizens for Criminal Justice Reform is asking the State of New Hampshire and the City of Keene to take immediate steps to prevent further tragedy by taking down the State’s online sex offender registry and the City of Keene’s crime map until the killer is apprehended.
- Until the killer is apprehended?  They should be taken offline permanently!  Someone will just follow in this persons footsteps.

At about 8:30 PM on the evening of October 24, 2013, _____ was brutally attacked after answering a knock on the door of his Westmoreland farmhouse. _____ was beaten so severely that he will need reconstructive facial surgery. State Police Sgt. Shawn M. Skahan is quoted as saying the attacker made statements, overheard by _____’s brother, that led police to conclude that a neighbor, who is a registered sex offender, had been the intended target.

Then, at about 9:30 PM on December 22, _____ was murdered in the kitchen of his Keene home. He was shot to death in his wheelchair after answering a knock at his door. _____ was listed on New Hampshire’s sex offender registry.

These are not the first New Hampshire citizens targeted because of the State’s decision to disseminate their personal information via the web. Nine years ago Lawrence Trant stabbed a registrant in Concord, left him for dead, and tried to burn two apartment buildings with seven former sex offenders among the tenants. Police found a printout of the State’s sex offender registry in Trant’s apartment, marked up like a hit list. Stephen Marshall of Nova Scotia killed two registrants in Maine in 2006. Like Trant, he found them online. Evidence suggested Marshall had targeted New Hampshire registrants as well. Across the nation, at least 20 other sex offenders have been murdered precisely because the assailants found them on the registry and, according to published news articles, more than 400 other people convicted or accused of sex offenses have been slain in the past decade, some possibly targeted as registrants.

Experience in Maine, Washington State, and here in New Hampshire shows assailants who target individuals solely because of their listing on a sex offender registry have multiple victims. We at Citizens for Criminal Justice Reform believe that the State of New Hampshire must take responsibility for the safety of the citizens whose personal information it chooses to disseminate via the Department of Safety’s official website. The State of Maine temporarily took down its registry during Marshall’s killing spree to protect those individuals listed on it. Until this killer is apprehended, we ask New Hampshire to do likewise – take down the online Registry of Criminal Offenders. We also ask the City of Keene to remove its online “CrimeReports” map for the same duration. We believe failure to do so makes the City and State complicit in any further assaults on registrants, their families and their neighbors.


RI - Bill would create convicted murderer registry

Lou Raptakis
Lou Raptakis
Original Article

01/08/2014

By Bill Rappleye

PROVIDENCE - A state lawmaker has proposed a bill that would require convicted murderers in Rhode Island to register with local police when they are released.

State Sen. Lou Raptakis, D-Coventry, said his bill would mirror the sexual predator law and require murderers to announce where they are living.

"The police department notifies the neighborhood that there's a sexual offender living in the community. Why don't we have that for someone who has committed a first- or second-degree murder that is being released to the community? The public has a right to know that an individual is living in their community especially that has committed a murder," Raptakis said.
- No the public doesn't have a "right" to know, but, if we have one online registry (hit-list) for ex-sex offenders, then why not one for all sinners?

Alfred Brissette was sentenced to 35 years in prison for the "thrill killing" of Jeannette Descoteaux, of Woonsocket. Brissette pleaded no contest to murder charges in the 1999 killing. He was released 13 years later.

"There was an outcry where no one knew where this individual was being placed in the state of Rhode Island after being released," Raptakis said.

Teny Gross of the Institute for the Study and Practice of Nonviolence said legislation is not the solution.

"Some people actually want to move away from that lifestyle, and really go and live a quiet life somewhere else and they deserve a second chance. They are supervised by the state, the authorities often know about that. If they are doing something wrong, they'll address that," Gross said.
- Isn't it ironic how they say this when it's any other criminal, but someone wearing the "sex offender" label, that all goes out the door?

Raptakis has also filed legislation to require convicted murderers to serve at least half of their sentences.

The full Senate passed the bill last year, but it died in the House Judiciary Committee.

Steven Brown of the Rhode Island Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union said the group is opposed to sex offender registries, but had not seen the bill for the convicted murder registry.