Saturday, July 21, 2012

OR - Former Sheriff's deputy (Mark Samuels) sentenced to three years for sex abuse

Mark Samuels
Original Article

07/20/2012

By Tiffany Vu

A former Marion County Sheriff's Deputy has been sentenced to three years in prison after pleading guilty to sexually abusing a female inmate under his supervision.

Mark Samuels, 54, pleaded guilty this afternoon to one count of first-degree custodial sexual misconduct, one count of second-degree sex abuse, two counts of second-degree sexual misconduct and two counts of third-degree sex abuse.

The charges stem from an inappropriate sexual relationship Samuels had had with a female inmate at the Marion County Jail Work Center. Samuels had been arrested on March 19 and fired by Sheriff Jason Myers on May 23 following an internal investigation into his conduct.

Upon completing his prison sentence, Samuels will also be placed on four and a half years of post-prison supervision and required to register as a sex offender and turn in his DPSST Corrections certificates, meaning he will no longer be able to serve in law enforcement.


TN - Officer arraigned: Two court dates set for Milan policeman (Adam Scott Martin) facing sex charge

Adam Scott Martin
Original Article

07/19/2012

By Tracie Simer

A Milan police officer accused of molesting a 19-year-old woman appeared in court Thursday morning in Gibson County.

The next court dates were set for Adam Scott Martin, 39, in Gibson County General Sessions Court in Trenton. A special prosecutor from Crockett County is representing the state in the case. An investigator with the Milan Police Department, Martin was arrested July 3 on one count of sexual battery by an authority figure.

An order of protection has been filed to to prevent Martin from contacting the alleged victim.

Judge Mark Agee set two court dates for Martin. On Aug. 2, the court will arrange for orders of protection prior to the case moving forward. On Aug. 14, Martin will return to court for his preliminary hearing. The separate court dates were made on request of Martin’s attorney C. Timothy Crocker.

According to court documents, Martin was not acting in his official capacity as a police officer and the incident for which he is charged did not occur while he was on duty. Martin is charged as an authority figure because he is related to the victim in some way, said John Mehr, special agent in charge of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation in Jackson.

According to state law, sexual battery by an authority figure is defined as unlawful sexual contact involving a defendant who is in a position of trust or has supervisory or disciplinary power, or parental or custodial authority over the victim. The charge is a Class C felony.

Martin was arrested at a residence in Carroll County and was released from the Gibson County Jail the same day on a $15,000 bond.

Milan Police Chief Tim Wright said Martin has been suspended with pay pending further investigation. Martin has worked for the Milan Police Department since March 2002.


PA - Former Bucks County prosecutor (Anthony C. Cappuccio) disbarred over sex with 17-year-old male

Anthony C. Cappuccio
Original Article

07/20/2012

By Peter Hall

The state Supreme Court has stripped a former Bucks County assistant district attorney of his law license after he admitted in 2009 to having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old boy.

Anthony C. Cappuccio resigned from his post as second-in-command in the district attorney's office in September 2008, a day after Richland Township police found him and the boy partially clothed in a car about midnight in a parking lot along Route 309.

In the decision to disbar Cappuccio, Chief Justice Ronald D. Castille wrote that evidence shows Cappuccio gained the trust of the boy's parents because he was a public official and the leader of a church youth group.

"His public persona was that of a law enforcement figure in the county, prosecuting members of the public for similar crimes," Castille wrote. "In our view, any sanction short of disbarment in these circumstances threatens the integrity of the legal system."

Investigators learned Cappuccio, 35, of Hilltown Township had a sexual relationship with the boy that began in the spring of 2008 and involved sex once a week over three months.

As Youth Fellowship adviser at First United Methodist Church in Perkasie, Cappuccio took the boy and at least two others to several rock concerts in 2007 and 2008, when he bought them alcohol and smoked marijuana with them.

He pleaded guilty to endangering the welfare of children, criminal use of a computer, corruption of minors and furnishing alcohol to minors. He served six months in Northampton County Prison and will remain on probation until 2017.

Cappuccio challenged the recommendation by the state attorney disciplinary office that he be disbarred, saying that a five-year suspension from the practice of law was an appropriate penalty.

Castille noted that although Cappuccio had not previously been disciplined as an attorney, had no prior criminal record, cooperated with investigators and expressed remorse, his case lacked other factors that might call for a less severe sanction.

In a similar case, an attorney who plied minors with alcohol and involved them in sexual behavior received a suspension of his law license because, unlike Cappuccio, he could show the behavior was caused by a psychological condition.

Cappuccio's disbarment was also warranted by the fact his misconduct involved a number of minors over an extended period, Castille wrote in the court's unanimous decision.

Attorney Samuel C. Stretton of West Chester, Chester County, represented Cappuccio. He said Cappuccio will be eligible to apply for reinstatement in 2014.


RI - City won't force sex offenders to quickly evict

Original Article

07/20/2012

By Michelle R. Smith

PROVIDENCE - The city of Providence on Friday agreed not to force the evictions of three sex offenders while a lawsuit is pending over a state law that bans them from living within 300 feet of a school.

The American Civil Liberties Union sued this week over the law, which it says is unconstitutionally vague and broad. It sued the state and city on behalf of two developmentally disabled men and one veteran who were told by Providence police on June 18 that they lived too close to a school and would have to move within 30 days or face arrest.

Kevin McHugh, an attorney for the city, told Superior Court Judge Sarah Taft-Carter on Friday that police wouldn't arrest the men while the lawsuit is pending.

Taft-Carter asked all sides to file legal arguments next month and said oral arguments would likely be held at the end of September, if needed.

The ACLU's lawyer, Katherine Godin, said that she knew the state and city hoped to resolve the matter as close to the beginning of the school year as possible but that the probation and parole office at the state Department of Corrections had either assigned the men to live there or knew they were living there.

"The police and the state understand that these guys have been there, some of them for years, without a problem," she said.

Among the questions that still must be resolved is how to measure the distance from a school to the men's homes. The lawsuit says that by some measures, the men do not live within 300 feet of a school.

Godin said the city had notified at least six other sex offenders that they must also move and said that if police attempt to arrest them, she will add them to the lawsuit.

Supporters of the men say they would lose their housing and possibly become homeless if forced to move. The two developmentally disabled men, [name withheld] and [name withheld], live in Warren Manor II, a Providence assisted-living facility that provides mental health and substance abuse treatment. The veteran, [name withheld], lives in an apartment in Providence.

Godin said [name withheld] and [name withheld] were placed in Warren Manor by the probation and parole office of the Department of Corrections. The same department knew [name withheld] was living in his apartment, she said.