Wednesday, March 28, 2012
A former police officer from near Dorking is in court - facing allegations of a catalogue of paedophile attacks on young girls.
Peter Kirk is appearing at Guildford Crown Court.
The 78 year old is accused of 15 charges of indecent abuse against girls - spanning 27 years.
Those charges include rape and inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.
One of the complainants is now aged 37, while the other is just 9 years old.
The court heard the alleged abuse against her started three years ago when she was 6.
She's been giving evidence via video link - in which she told the court her abuse started when she'd cut her leg and Kirk took her upstairs to rub cream on it.
This then escalated into serious offences.
Peter Kirk denies the charges against him and the case continues.
PA - Former police officer (Jose Manuel Santiago) pleads guilty to sex offenses in which he claimed spirit possession
|Jose Manuel Santiago|
WEST CHESTER - A former southeastern Pennsylvania police officer has pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting four young girls by claiming he was possessed by a spirit and needed to protect their families.
The 56-year-old Newark, Del. man had been scheduled to go on trial in Chester County Court before agreeing to plead guilty to charges including rape and involuntary deviate sexual intercourse.
Investigators say Santiago told the girls he was possessed by a spirit and needed to have sex with them to protect them and their families from harm.
Harrington Hall, the largest homeless shelter in Rhode Island, wants to relocate to an abandoned women's prison a few blocks away and provide classes that teach independent living to those who need it most. But now, that might not happen because "4 or 5" registered sex offenders are among the homeless. Behind the complaining resident and pandering politician are no actual solutions to the problem. Are we actually protecting children, or just saying someone really should?
A man carried out a vigilante-style attack on a suspected paedophile after tracking the man down to a secret address, Lincoln Crown Court was told yesterday (Tuesday).
Ian Stones, 25, of New York, discovered the man was at an address on the outskirts of Spalding, and after driving to the property forced his way inside.
Kevin Barry, prosecuting, said “The car pulled up. The occupants got out and went to the rear door."
“The man saw the car pull up and immediately was in a panic.”
An elderly woman at the house attempted to stop the car’s occupants entering the property but they forced their way past her.
Stones put the man in a headlock and shouted he was taking him to Boston.
Although the man was able to get out of the hold Stones then punched him in the face.
The man fled into the living room at the property but was knocked down and attacked again with a 15 year old boy also joining in.
Eventually the attackers left and police were called.
The court was told that at the time Stones was on bail after being arrested for damaging the man’s car.
Stones admitted assaulting occasioning actual bodily harm on September 10 last year. He was given a community order with 180 hours of unpaid work.
Judge Michael Heath told him: “It is quite clear that you were taking the law into your own hands which you cannot do."
“I emphasize that I am only dealing with you in this way because you have already spent the equivalent of six months in prison.”
The 15-year-old boy was given a 12 month conditional discharge.
Gordon Aspden, defending, said the incident happened at a time when Stones was grieving following the death of his grandfather and he acted out of character after being told of the allegation against the man.
He said: “The victim suffered relatively minor injuries. There was no weapon taken to the scene. This was just fists."
“He is repentant for what he did and recognizes that it was wrong."
“In my submission there is a very low risk of him coming before the courts again.”
Mr Aspden said the 15-year-old boy worked hard at school and has never been in trouble before.
The court was told that police investigations are continuing into the assault victim following an allegation that he carried out a sex attack on a young girl.
Update: Missouri House passes sex offender bill
The Republican-led Missouri House gave first round approval Tuesday to legislation that would allow some people eventually to be removed from the state's sex offender registry.
Sponsoring Rep. Rodney Schad said the registry must be sufficiently narrow to be a notification tool and not additional punishment. In recent years, lawmakers have expanded the public sex offender registry.
"We've piled on to the point that the registry no longer means anything to the public," said Schad, R-Versailles. "The public has become numb to the registry."
Under the legislation, several offenses no longer would require state registration, including promoting obscenity and furnishing pornographic materials. In other cases, people could petition a state trial judge to be removed if they meet certain requirements. Petitions for removal could be filed after 20 years for those convicted of particularly serious offenses such as forcible rape, forcible sodomy or child molestation _ crimes that Schad labeled as the "seven deadly sins." People convicted of other sex offenses would need to wait 10 years before they could seek removal.
The local prosecutor, who would need to be notified by the person making the request, could present evidence suggesting some requirements for removal had not been met. Prosecutors also would need to make "reasonable efforts" to notify the victim of the sex offense of the dates and times for court hearings on the petition. Requests for removal would be granted unless the person has not properly registered, committed another offense requiring registration or failed to complete probation and sex offender treatment programs.
Lawmakers endorsed the legislation by voice vote during an evening session with few people watching from the public galleries. The measure needs another vote before moving to the state Senate. There was little apparent opposition to the measure, and Schad said the legislation was discussed at night to avoid conducting the debate in front of the many children who visit the state Capitol during the day on school field trips.
Besides allowing people to be removed from the registry, the legislation also would exclude juveniles who are required to register as sex offenders from the public list posted online.
By Jeremy Alford
BATON ROUGE — Under a proposed law pending in the Senate, convicted sex offenders would have to keep police abreast of changes in their online identities.
As for a definition, that means everything from new email addresses to Internet-based screen names.
The Senate Judiciary B Committee unanimously advanced the proposal Tuesday along with a bill that would require new licensing and training for bouncers and other security personnel who work in bars and nightclubs.
Both measures are sponsored by Sen. Gary Smith, D-Norco, who represents a portion of northern Lafourche Parish.
Senate Bill 377 (PDF) would force convicted sex offenders to update law-enforcement officers whenever they change their identities online.
Such offenders already have to maintain an active address with their local sheriffs or police departments, depending on where they live.
“With all of the new changes that are happening with technology, we’ve got to make a better effort to keep up with this information,” Smith told the committee.
He said the proposal was recommended by the U.S. Department of Justice and has been included in Gov. Bobby Jindal’s latest legislative package strengthening Louisiana’s sex-offender laws.
Sen. J.P. Morrell, D-New Orleans, said it makes sense, given the times.
“We need to track sex offenders in this electronic medium,” said Morrell, chairman of the judiciary committee. “It only takes about three seconds to make an new email address.”
- Exactly! And if a person is intent on committing a new crime, they will.
Smith’s Senate Bill 234 would revise the Louisiana Responsible Vendor Program, which deals exclusively with individuals who serve alcohol in bars and restaurants.
Those who are licensed under the program undergo training to help them identify and handle situations in which customers are drinking too much or becoming a danger to themselves, among other things.
- So, you need a law for this? In the old days, bouncers just kicked them out, or they called the police. What is a new law going to do?
Smith told the committee he wants to add a new section in the law for security personnel.
“We’re seeing more problems where excessive force is being used or there are fights and people are getting a little unruly,” Smith said.
He said the proposed training would help bouncers and others learn how to deal with customer fights and how to subdue conflicts until police arrive.
The fee for the new license would mirror that of those required by servers: $50.
- Just another way for Big Brother to take more money from your pockets!
By Jeff Chirico
COBB COUNTY - A Cobb County man, who said he should have been removed from the sex offender registry in 2004, is fighting to clear his name after being convicted of violating the registry in 2011.
[name withheld] blamed a government glitch and an overzealous prosecutor for his felony conviction.
[name withheld]'s troubles with the law began when he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor sex crime in Ohio in 1994. When he moved to Illinois in 1996 he was required to register as a sex offender.
According to records obtained by CBS Atlanta News he should have been removed from the registry in 2004, ten years after the conviction. An Illinois State Police employee told CBS Atlanta News that a mistake was made and [name withheld] was not taken from the registry.