Wednesday, July 13, 2011
|Anthony James Benjamin|
Update: Sentenced to 9 months in jail, will NOT be a sex offender, as expected.
By Tomoya Shimura
VICTORVILLE - A Victorville sheriff's deputy accused of engaging in sexual acts with a teen Explorer took a plea bargain Wednesday afternoon and faces nine months in jail.
Anthony James Benjamin, 30, of Beaumont accepted the prosecution's offer and pleaded no contest to two felony counts of oral copulation of person under 18. Judge Lynn Poncin accepted the plea agreement while the victim watched in court.
Benjamin is scheduled to be sentenced Aug. 30 to 270 days in jail. Under the law, the defendant's not required to register as a sex offender.
- Of course not, he's a ex-cop!
According to the complaint, the two incidents took place on or about July 1 through Dec. 18 against the victim referred to as Jane Doe, who's now 18.
If he had gone to trial and been convicted of all charges, Benjamin could have faced up to three years and eight months in prison.
Benjamin declined to talk to the Daily Press outside the courthouse after the plea. He's been free on $100,000 bail.
An anonymous tip led to Benjamin's arrest last month and he was placed on administrative leave, according to sheriff's officials.
Benjamin worked as a deputy at the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Victorville station, and had been with the department for more than five years, according to sheriff’s officials.
- Victorville deputy arrested for sex with teen Explorer
- VV deputy charged in Explorer teen sex case
- VV Deputy pleads not guilty to teen sex charges
|James Thomas Long|
By Francine Sawyer
A former officer for the state Department of Correction in Vanceboro has been convicted of two counts of first-degree sex offense with a child under 13 and one count of first-degree rape of a child under 13.
It was the second time James Thomas Long was convicted of the charges.
Superior Court Judge Jay Hockenbury sentenced Long to 51 years in prison. The first time Long was sentenced to 55 years.
Long was found guilty by a Craven County jury Feb. 14, 2008. Long appealed his conviction to the N.C. Court of Appeals. The court overturned the conviction April 7, 2009, ruling the trial judge committed prejudicial error in his response to the jury request to have the testimony of the defendant and the victim read back to them in court.
The high court ruled that the trial superior court judge, Judge W. Allen Cobb Jr., did not use the words “in my discretion I am denying the request and you are to rely on your recollection of the testimony.” According to the ruling, the judge instead stated that the court reporter did not have the technology to immediately produce the testimony to be available for the jury.
The appellate court overturned the conviction and remanded it for a new trial.
The case was retried in Craven County Superior Court last week. The same evidence was offered in the retrial and the victim, a young child, testified again.
Assistant district attorney Karen Hobbs and Craven County Sheriff’s Office investigator Sgt. John Whitfield worked for the state.
Long testified that he never had sex with the child. During the investigation he gave a written confession that he had sex with the child. A medical examiner testified that the girl had been sexually abused.
Whitfield said the assaults occurred over a period from 2000 to 2002, ending when the child was 7 years old.
“We are pleased the defendant has once again been found guilty by a jury and that he has received a long prison sentence,” District Attorney Scott Thomas said. “The victim deserved justice and we continued to pursue the case even in light of the appellate court ruling. Assistant District Attorney Hobbs and investigator Whitfield are to be commended for their good work and persistence on this case.”
WA - Washington state man (Robert Startin) sentenced for shooting a man he thought was a sex offender
This goes to show the hysteria that has spread in this country. A person is or knows someone who has been sexually abused, so they think it gives them the right to go out and harm someone they think is a sex offender. I wonder if he would be crying if the person was a ex-sex offender? No, I'm sure he'd feel justified.
SPOKANE - A Washington state man who shot another man in the head because the shooter mistakenly thought the victim was a sex offender has been sentenced to more than 15 years in prison on assault and gun convictions.
Robert Startin cried in Spokane County Superior Court as he apologized for shooting 26-year-old [name withheld] at a drinking party in March in Spokane Valley.
The prosecutor said someone joked that [name withheld] was a sex offender. Startin had a relative who was molested. He got a gun and shot [name withheld] in the head.
The Spokesman-Review reports [name withheld] was paralyzed below the neck but has recovered some movement in his limbs. He’s still in the hospital.
The 27-year-old Startin was sentenced Tuesday.
The Ohio Supreme Court, in a 5-2 decision, declared the classification and registration scheme in Senate Bill 10, Ohio’s Adam Walsh Act, to be punishment (see PDF here). It is therefore unconstitutional to apply it retroactively. The case is State v. Williams, and it is available at the link above.
Hats off to those folks who have been fighting this cause in Ohio.
For now have a GREAT day and a BETTER tomorrow.
|Catherine Kieu Becker|
This is one sick lady, and she did this because of a divorce? And apparently the Feminazi's on CBS's "THE TALK" (Contact CBS) think it's funny as well (See video below). How sick! Hopefully she will be sentenced to prison for a very long time.
By MIKAELA CONLEY
Catherine Kieu Becker, 48, is under arrest for chopping off her husband's penis and tossing it in the garbage disposal.
After she laced her husband's food with an unknown drug or poison, he lay down, believing something was wrong with the food, according to police reports. Her husband then woke up tied to the bed as Becker cut off his penis with a knife. She then threw the genitalia in the garbage disposal and turned the disposal on, Lt. Jeff Nightengale of Garden Grove, Calif. police, said.
Nightengale said the couple is going through a divorce, but could not confirm why Becker wanted to cut off her husband's manhood.
Becker eventually called 911, asking for medical assistance. When firefighters and police arrived on scene, Becker told officials that her husband "deserved it," said Nightengale. Police found the man, who remains unidentified, tied to the bed and "bleeding profusely." Becker was arrested on several charges, including aggravated mayhem, false imprisonment and assault with a deadly weapon.
Her husband was rushed to University of California at Irvine Medical Center for treatment.
"He is in stable condition, but we have no details about the surgery," said Nightengale.
"Police were able to recover portions of the penis from the garbage disposal," Nightengale noted, but it is unclear how much or whether doctors will be able to reattach them.
"The immediate issue here is to control the bleeding," said Dr. Alasdair Conn, chief of emergency services at Massachusetts General Hospital, who said that the injury is quite unusual, even in the emergency room.
Upon his arrival, doctors need to tie off arteries and veins to stop the bleeding. Surgeons will attempt to maintain the remaining tissue and cover the wound so it does not get infected, Conn said.
If the penis is available to reattach, Dr. Ryan Terlecki, assistant professor surgical sciences-urology at Wake Forest University, said it should be wrapped in saline-soaked gauze, placed in a plastic bag, and the bag then should be placed in an ice bath to keep cold.
"Time is of the essence for a re-implant," said Terlecki, who has performed a handful of such procedures. "It's best to reattach it within 24 hours, preferably less than eight hours."
Doctors then reconstruct the nerve arteries and veins, while also putting the erectile tissue back together.
Urine control will not likely be affected because the muscle that causes the sensation to go to the bathroom is outside of the bladder. That muscle probably went untouched during the assault, Conn said, but a Foley catheter will likely be inserted into the bladder to drain urine, which is also "a relatively straightforward procedure."
If doctors cannot reattach the original penis, Conn said, "over the next few days, surgeons have to decide what to do to reconstruct the penis. Plastic surgeons who specialize in transgender operations may be able to construct a new penis."
Terlecki said that the penis is recreated by grafting tissue from another part of the body and then augmented with a penile prosthetic.
With the prosthetic, a man can still "urinate and have sexual relations and ejaculate.There's usually not the same force of ejaculation, but plumbing for that purpose is still intact."
Not all ex-sex offenders are trolling social networks for kids to molest, that is just absurd and discrimination. It's like us calling all blacks criminals because a couple have committed crimes. It's just not true.