Tuesday, June 14, 2011

SCOTLAND - Scott MacKinnon had 'lost the plot' the day he tried to kill pervert

Original Article

06/14/2011

By ALAN McEWEN

A CARE worker who was jailed for the attempted murder of a paedophile pensioner "lost the plot" after learning two young girls had been sexually abused, his brother said today.

Scott MacKinnon slashed the throat of his victim a dozen times during a frenzied attack after 67-year-old [name withheld] admitted he had carried out the abuse.

[name withheld] was sentenced to two years in prison at Edinburgh Sheriff Court yesterday after being found guilty of using lewd, libidinous practices and behaviour towards the girls, aged ten and 12.

His imprisonment comes after MacKinnon, 36, was jailed for five years and four months for attempting to murder [name withheld] in his East Lothian home.

MacKinnon's brother, Michael Garry, told the Evening News that his sibling had "snapped in the heat of the moment" after [name withheld] had "calmly" described the attacks.

He said that his brother regretted his actions, but would welcome the jailing of [name withheld], who had previously been a friend for more than 20 years.

Mr Garry, 41, who lives in Meadowbank Terrace, said: "The reason why Scott attacked [name withheld] was not allowed to be mentioned during his court case because [name withheld] had not been convicted. He pleaded guilty and it seemed to the court that Scott had attacked him for no reason."

"Scott had found out that these girls had been abused by [name withheld] and went round to his house to confront him. [name withheld] admitted it so calmly and didn't think it was a big deal. My brother snapped in the heat of the moment and lost the plot."

The attack took place on March 31 last year at [name withheld]'s home in Macmerry. The High Court in Edinburgh heard that MacKinnon told his partner he had repeatedly slashed [name withheld]'s throat and then left him lying on the floor.

MacKinnon also contacted [name withheld]'s son and said: "I'm sorry, I've killed your father."

MacKinnon, who is serving his sentence at Saughton Prison, had worked as a carer for disability charity Mencap.

Mr Garry said: "Scott handed himself in after what happened."

"He thought he had killed [name withheld] until the detectives told him he was still alive."

"When Scott comes out of jail, he just wants to put his life back together. He had a good job, which he really liked, but he knows he can't go back to."

"Scott knows that he should not have taken the law into his own hands. He knows that you can't turn vigilante and he accepts his conviction."

"It's torn the family apart, but his partner has been very supportive, and is standing by him."

"The family visit him in jail and we're hoping he might get moved to an open prison this Christmas."

[name withheld], whose address was given as Hide Hill, Berwick Upon Tweed, had denied using lewd, libidinous practices and behaviour towards the girls, who cannot be identified, between February 2008 and March last year at various addresses in the Edinburgh and Lothian area. He was found guilty by a jury.

Sheriff Michael O'Grady QC told [name withheld] yesterday: "I am satisfied only a custodial sentence is appropriate."

The sheriff also ordered that [name withheld] be under supervision for a further two years after he is released, and put him on the sex offenders' register.


GA - Local Missing Kids Charity Spending Little To Find Kids

Original Article

See the video at the above link. Maybe someone should do the same for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children organization ran by Ernie Allen?

06/13/2011

ATLANTA -- A Channel 2 Action News investigation put a metro-Atlanta charity under the microscope and found most of the money it gets from donors goes to raise more money. Investigative reporter Aaron Diamant made the discovery after digging though the nonprofit's financial records.

The Committee for Missing Children (Charity Navigator Info) is based in Lawrenceville and serves as a resource for parents of missing kids all over the world. The organization tells donors their money has helped bring home more than 1,200 children over the years.

After reading through the charity's most recent tax returns, Channel 2 pressed David Thelen for answers about where donors' money actually goes.

"All of this looks terrible on paper," Thelen admitted. "It bothers me every single day."

What bothered charity watchdogs is that last year, the nonprofit brought in more than $2.1 million, mostly donations, but told the IRS it only spent around $314,000, just 14 percent, on programs to help parents find missing children. Digging deeper into the return, we found the charity spent a staggering $1.9 million on fundraising, mostly in fees to telemarketers paid to drum up those donations.

We asked Thelen if he thinks that's fair to donors.

"Basically, no, I don't," Thelen responded. "I don't think it's fair."

Thelen told Channel 2 Action News he has no other choice but to pay telemarketers seven-figure fees.

"I don't like telemarketing," Thelen said. "I have to live with it because it brings children home. I can't find another source of money, Aaron, that's the problem."

Maybe the biggest problem for donors, out of every dollar donors give through telemarketers, Thelen's charity only gets about 12 cents. The telemarketer keeps the rest to cover its costs.

Thelen admits most donors have no idea.

"That's the nature of the beast," he said.

Emory University ethics professor Edward Queen warns many donors make for easy marks.

"I think they'd be appalled to realize that huge chunks of every dollar they give to an organization isn't going to those who really need the services," said Queen.

The charity's tax return also shows it shelled out $176,000 in salaries for Thelen, his wife, and a director in Europe, even though the organization reported a loss of more than $125,000 for the year. Diamant asked Thelen if staff salaries should be cut.

"We did," said Thelen. "We didn't cut ours, I'll be honest with you, because I feel I earn every cent I get."

All of those are big red flags for Ken Berger, president of Charity Navigator, a watchdog group that evaluates charities and rates them for consumers on a four-star scale.

"It's been about six years now that they have gotten our lowest score, which is zero stars," Berger said.

Still, Thelen told Diamant he's not losing any sleep.

"My conscience is clear," Thelen said. "I feel bad about it, but I have done so much good, and I'm so passionate about these parents, that I can't let that stop me from my mission."

Thelen is quick to point out that if donors give directly to the charity, the organization keeps 100 percent, and uses all of it on programs. He told Diamant the main problem is not enough donors do that, which is why he's forced to rely on telemarketers to drum up support.


Shelby Cross Instructs Viewers To Build "Justice Shed"