Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Hide yo' kidz, hide yo' wife and hide yo' husbands!!! They is climbin' in yo' windozs snatchin' peoples up!!!

The officer in this video says sex offenders are hiding in the closet or somewhere. Hell, I thought they were all hiding behind the bushes, in trench coats, waiting to pounce on our kids. At least that is what the media and politicians tell me. Anything to justify the existence of the NCMEC. Without sex offenders, they'd not be a business.

100,000 missing? Really?






OR - Measure 73: Ore. approves mandatory DUI and sex crime sentences

Original Article
Other registries to consider

11/02/2010

PORTLAND (AP) - Repeat drunken drivers will face more time behind bars.

Oregon voters on Tuesday approved Measure 73 requiring a 90-day mandatory minimum sentence for a third drunken driving conviction. The measure also raises to 25 years the minimum sentence for people convicted of more than one serious sexual offense.
- Drunk drivers kill tons of people per year, and all they get after 3 convictions is 90 days minimum? It should be a lot longer, if you ask me.

The law is the latest get-tough-on-crime measure backed by Republican Kevin Mannix, who successfully pushed mandatory minimums for violent offenders in 1994.

Opponents worried this year's measure would cost millions and force the state to cut funding from other programs as tax revenue falls flat. But Mannix said the state has a responsibility to crack down on criminals at all costs.
- Even if it means going broke? And what about treatment for DUI and sex offenders to help reduce recidivism, which is already the lowest for any other criminal, except for DUI offenders. Just throwing them in jail/prison for awhile, then letting them out without any treatment, is just insane! But, it does keep the prison business flowing in cash!


AK - District looks at sex offender policy

Original Article

11/03/2010

By Naomi Klouda

A new sex offender policy in the Kenai Peninsula School District received its first public airing Monday night at the school board meeting. It’s an idea the public will have the opportunity to weigh-in on before the school board votes on it.

Since this is one of the first Alaska school districts to take up the matter of how to best deal with those parents convicted of sex offenses, it is going into the public arena without a lot of precedent. If approved Nov 18, the new rules would impact the district’s 44 schools.

The measure would prohibit any sex offender from being on district property, except under certain authorized circumstances. Those include voting, picking up or dropping off their children and attending parent/teacher conferences.

Before the parent would be allowed to enter school property for any other reason, he or she would need to notify the school principal 48 hours in advance of the activity and receive consent prior to arrival.

Four pages outline the school policy in other areas as well. Convicted parents would be found in violation if they attempt to send their child text messages. Any non-parent sex offender/kidnapper who attempts or does communicate electronically with a student would also be in violation.

After discussions with parole officers and administrators, the school district administration realized a need to have a policy in place regarding sex offenders who want to participate in school events, said assistant Superintendent Dave Jones.

There wasn’t any particular incident, but last year we had parents with sex offender backgrounds at schools, and realized this is a safety versus parental rights issue,” Jones said.

The district started from scratch, with the help of school district attorneys, in drafting the proposed policy.

This is a brand new measure,” Jones explained. “We basically had nothing to model this on.”

The Anchorage School District has no such policy in place, said district information officer Heidi Embley.

Instead, if there is a restraining order, Embley said the school district would enforce it to keep a parent or other person away from school property.

While the state sex offender registry lists 2,724 names, the public is cautioned about using that information. The registry lists names of those convicted under the combined sex offense/kidnapping statute, said Alaska Department of Public Safety spokesperson Megan Peters.

People need to be aware that not all of the people on the list had any conviction related to children,” Peters said. “It could be someone who, as a 17-year-old, had a girlfriend who was 14. There are a lot of variables. I would say anyone using the list needs to use a lot of caution.”

Assumptions about what actions resulted in the conviction can be wrong and hurtful to people, she cautioned. The best way is to go to the actual charging court documents that resulted in the conviction.

According to Jones, the school board will be able to debate the matter — with public input — over the next few weeks before it comes up for a vote.

It also addresses restrictions on student sex offenders, which involve specifying requirements for supervision on a case-by-case basis. And, it discusses contract employees who may have contact with students.

Homer’s representative on the school board, Liz Downing, said the idea is to keep kids safe and to honor parent’s rights.

There are rights of parents to participate in parent/teacher conferences and if they are on a list, their rights as parents aren’t denied,” Downing said. “But this provides extra protection for kids in the schools.”


ME - Bangor does the right thing and tables unconstitutional sex offender law


UK - Operation Ore appeal could change child protection balance

Original Article

11/03/2010

By Andromeda

The appeal relating to the clumsy, US spawned Operation Ore investigation into Internet child pornography is due to start on 11th November.

Those affected are seeking to prove that they were in fact victims of credit card fraud and did not access child pornography on the Internet. It is understandable therefore that many people, child protection groups and the police are nervous about the possible outcome of the appeal.

Jim Gamble, who resigned from CEOP is lying low, no doubt licking his wounds after the Home Secretary, Theresa May this week confirmed that CEOP was not – and will not become – an independent body, no doubt much to the dismay of the zealots who were demanding that status and threatening all kinds of dire consequences if May did not give in.

What nobody is prepared to admit though, especially those who move in political circles, is that if the appellants win, the whole face of child protection in the UK could be changed and, we would suggest, be changed for the better.

If the appeal is successful, it may cause the police, children’s charities, probation officers, the tabloid press and even politicians to think twice before jumping on the child protection bandwagon in order to win cheap votes, sell newspapers and make a living out of persecuting others whilst ignoring the real major source of child abuse, the family.

However, considering the major shift that victory in the appeal could cause, TheOpinionSite.org believes that the Court will be reluctant to favour the appellants in the case, preferring to either reserve judgement in order to seek guidance from the Government, make a decision that is full of loopholes so that the authorities can escape justice or, as is most probable, simply dismiss the appeal.

History shows that where child sex offending of any type is under consideration, the courts nearly always fall on the side of the authorities rather than risk a public outcry which might ‘undermine public confidence‘.

Surprisingly, there is however hope left for those who are appealing in the form of the Home Secretary, Theresa May and the Justice Secretary, Kenneth Clarke.

Whilst neither wish to be seen to be soft on sex offenders – even they are not prone to political suicide – they have both proved themselves to be resilient to the tabloids, zealots and howling charities that controlled the last administration. It may be therefore that they do not seek to influence the Court in its decision making as has seemingly been the case under Blair and Brown. Indeed, it may even be that they want to put an end to the public hysteria and paranoia over sex offenders that has built up in the UK over the last 20 years. mainly due to those with a vested interest in maintaining such fears.

We live in hope and in the belief that injustice cannot continue for ever, despite the efforts of those who benefit from such injustice.

TheOpinionSite.org realises that there are many who will disagree with us and we hope that they – and those who do agree – will enter their comments below.

Whatever your opinion, one thing is clear; the Court has a rare opportunity to prove once and for all that it is not under the control of the Government in such sensitive matters, is not weak and is, as it should be, totally independent.

Well, we shall see.


GA - Man (Michael Smith) Arrested In Slaying Of 15-Year-Old Girl during non-sex related robbery

Original Article

It is my opinion, that anyone who murders another human being, not in self defense, they should be in prison until the day they die, but I'm sure he'll be out before then. Also, if he does get out, I seriously doubt he'll be on the sex offender registry, because it's not a sex crime and not kidnapping related. But wouldn't you like to know if this thief/murderer lived around you? Also, she is not the "average" white female, so I'm sure this will not be on the news for very long, but why not? Will Nancy Disgrace pound it over and over on her show? I doubt it!

11/02/2010

DEKALB COUNTY - An arrest has been made in connection with the slaying of a 15-year-old girl, said a spokeswoman for the DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office.

Michael Smith, 20, was taken into custody Tuesday and charged with murder in the Sept. 23 death of Shayla Jackson. Smith allegedly shot Jackson in the stomach after a robbery at a home in the Klondike Road area, according to warrants. She later died as a result of her injuries.

Smith was taken to the DeKalb County Jail and is also charged with two counts of armed robbery and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.


CA - California release new recidivism numbers

Original Article
All recidivism studies

Study shows that 5% of sex offenders commit a new sex crime.

11/03/2010

New recidivism figures: "2010 Adult Institutions Outcome Evaluation Report (PDF)," but they are not easy to decipher!

Normally we would just look at a chart and know what the recidivism numbers are, however, California has revised their record-keeping system and it requires that we understand certain words and phrases, and know how to interpret the charts when viewing them.

The important terms are: Parole Violation (LAW); Parole Violation (TECHNICAL); Registered Sex Offender; Re-Release; and Term, the definitions are all on this page (PDF).

Next, the graphic on the right here is very helpful to understanding a few of the terms: Since their new system is based on "Return to Prison" numbers, that means, numbers include "Parole Violations (Technical)" and for sex offenders the picture shows 86% for Technical violations. So when our concerns are "new crimes" we need to recognize where the report is overstated with technical violations.





AUSTRALIA - Government rejects call for public sex offender register

Original Article

11/03/2010

By Kallee Buchanan and Chris O'Brien

The Queensland Government will reject a push for a public register of sex offenders.

Independent MP Rob Messenger has released a draft private member's bill that would establish a public sex offenders register in Queensland.

The Member for Burnett says the law would require the State Government to publish a register of sex offenders names, pictures and addresses and to notify residents if an offender moved into their neighbourhood.

The bill is similar to 'Megan's Law ' in the United States, which has been criticised for having little impact on the number of sex re-offences and costing millions of dollars a year to administer.

Mr Messenger says the law would only apply to the most serious sex offences.

"I think most people would probably be shocked to realise that in Queensland there's probably around 90 dangerous sex offenders," he said.

"They're the worst of the worst."

"The Government at the moment have the right to release those people back into the community in secret."

However, the Queensland Government says it will not support the private member's bill.

Police Minister Neil Roberts says certain information can already be published in some cases - and registers can backfire.

"They have a history in numerous countries where they exist of encouraging vigilante activity," he said.

"There have been numerous cases of mistaken identity."

"The evidence clearly is that they drive many offenders underground, out of the reach of police, out of the reach of the monitoring agencies."

"In some areas of the United States it's reported that up to 30 per cent of offenders on a register fail to notify of their changes of address."

Opposition Deputy Leader Lawrence Springborg says there would be no need for a public register of sex offenders if they were kept in jail.

"Serious sex offenders should be in jail, they shouldn't be on a public accessible register," he said.

"The best way to keep society safe, to keep our children safe, is to lock these people up and not let them out."