View the Court Case Here
Sent in via the "Submit your news article here" link above.
I recommend EVERYONE faced with this BS to SUE, SUE, SUE!
Kathy Manley, the lead attorney in the case described the action in an informal e-mail:
We are going to sue Albany County because a man who had contacted me is being forced from his home and they're only giving him until next week. He is a level 3 but has only ever been convicted of one sex offense (against a 14 year old girl) and his crime was 22 years ago. He has a lot of health problems and needs a phone line, so he can call in his blood pressure reading everyday, and a refrigerator to keep his insulin - he has to give himself injections 3 times a day. He was living in Albany for 4 1/2 years with no problems when his building was sold and everyone was evicted last May. He's on parole for 3 more years from his 1985 conviction and his old parole officer found him an apartment, where he's been since May. But last month the police told him he had to leave by next week. His new parole officer is no help. This man has given the police over 30 different addresses to check and they have told him that every one of them is in the excluded zone. They told him to try a couple areas of the city where there is no housing available to him. So he has been trying to do everything right, but has run out of options. If they put him in a motel he probably won't have the fridge and telephone he needs for his medical conditions. We tried to work it out with the DA's Office but I was told today that no exceptions would be made. So we are going to sue.
Tuesday, October 2, 2007
View the Court Case Here
And with everything getting back in session, more BS to come. Voting is coming up as well, so people will use this as their campaign solution to garner votes. Watch how many people use this!
View the article here
Promising legal figure accused of judicial, sexual improprieties
MONTGOMERY - A judge once considered for a prominent federal appointment has resigned amid investigations of possible judicial and sexual improprieties, including allegations that he spanked male inmates in a private courthouse room.
The resignation of Circuit Judge Herman Thomas ends what was once viewed as one of Alabama's most promising legal careers, although his legal problems continue.
"We do have a criminal investigation going on," Mobile County District Attorney John Tyson said after Thomas' resignation Monday.
Thomas had been suspended with pay since March when a state judicial panel filed the first of a series of charges accusing him of unduly helping relatives and friends with their legal troubles and taking cases away from other judges — without permission — to change the defendants' legal status or reduce sentences.
Thomas resigned shortly before 5 p.m. Monday, which was the deadline for judicial prosecutors to file any additional charges before his Oct. 29 trial.
His resignation probably means there will be no trial before the Alabama Court of the Judiciary because the harshest punishment it can hand down is removal from office — an action that last happened in 2003 when Alabama's Ten Commandments judge, Chief Justice Roy Moore, got kicked out of office.
"While I do not believe that I ever intentionally violated any canon of judicial ethics, I recognize that the controversy surrounding me has been disruptive and unproductive for the life of this community," Thomas said in a resignation statement.
Accused of taking inmates to private room
After the ethics charges were filed against Thomas, allegations arose that he had removed several male inmates from the Mobile jail and taken them to a private room in the courthouse, where he spanked them.
The president of the local NAACP chapter accused investigators of coercing inmates to make allegations against Thomas, who is black.
Also, a six-year-old lawsuit surfaced in which an inmate accused the judge of offering to provide help with inmates' cases in return for sexual favors.
"Judge Thomas categorically denies all of that," defense attorney Dave Boyd said.
Judicial prosecutors did not file any additional charges Monday involving the allegations of spankings or the inmate's lawsuit, which was dismissed by one of Thomas' fellow judges shortly after it was filed.
Tyson, the district attorney in Mobile, said his investigation is separate from the judicial ethics probe, and he had been unaware of the inmate's suit until recently. "That lawsuit is now part of our investigation," Tyson said.
'A judge ... all citizens will be proud of'
Thomas, 46, grew up in Mobile and returned home after law school at Florida State University to become an assistant district attorney. He became a district judge in 1990, with the pledge, "I will be a judge the judges of the 13th Judicial Circuit, my family and friends, and all citizens will be proud of."
Thomas' distinctive bow ties helped him stand out in the county courthouse, and in 1999, he became a circuit judge.
Two years before that, some of Alabama's top Democrats recommended President Clinton appoint Thomas as the first black federal judge in south Alabama. The background check on Thomas dragged on for months, and Clinton never made a formal nomination.
One of Thomas' earliest advocates was Joe Reed, chairman of the black wing of the Alabama Democratic Party. Reed said Thomas ran into opposition from some leaders within the American Bar Association, but there were no allegations of improprieties back then. Reed said he hated to see what had happened to Thomas' career.
"It's so unfortunate for him," he said Tuesday.
View the article here
OAK PARK - If you need a hug, you won't get it at Percy Julian Middle School. Principal Victoria Sharts banned hugging among the suburban Chicago school's 860 students anywhere inside the building. She said students were forming "hug lines" that made them late for classes and crowded the hallways.
"Hugging is really more appropriate for airports or for family reunions than passing and seeing each other every few minutes in the halls," Sharts said.
Another reason to institute the no-hugging policy was that some hugs could be too long and too close, she said.
"There is another side to the issue when a hug is either unwanted or becomes inappropriate as judged by one of the students involved," Sharts wrote in a statement to parents. "On occasion, we do deal with those incidents. The goal is always to promote safe and orderly hallways where everybody can get by, be safe, and be on time."
View the article here
More double standard BS. Men burn while women get a slap on the wrist. I thought all people were equal under the law? Apparently that is a load of BS! Also, where is her photo?
A 50-year-old Clifton woman was sentenced Monday to 20 years to life on probation for videotaping two children performing sex acts on her and sending the images to a man in Canada.
Debra Slaughenhaupt nodded her head slightly but otherwise showed little emotion as Mesa County District Judge Richard Gurley rejected a recommendation from probation officers that she be sentenced to four years to life in prison. The judge did order her to spend 15 months in the Mesa County Jail as a condition of probation.
Slaughenhaupt declined to say anything prior to sentencing. Gurley said she had previously written a letter to the court.
She was arrested in March after a federal child pornography investigation uncovered hundreds of child pornography images on a man’s computer in Toronto and linked some of the images to Slaughenhaupt.
Investigators reviewed 62 pages of Internet chat text over an eight-month period last year in which the Toronto man, 26-year-old Matthew Hughes, asked Slaughenhaupt to have the children, ages 9 and 3, perform sexual acts on her and send the images via a Web camera, according to court records.
Slaughenhaupt had the two girls, one of whom is disabled, touch her breasts and other private areas. The chat text revealed Hughes and Slaughenhaupt engaged in several sexually explicit conversations about the sex acts. Slaughenhaupt admitted in an interview with investigators that she had molested the girls, police said.
Slaughenhaupt pleaded guilty in June to felony counts of sexual assault on a child by a person in a position of trust and sexual exploitation of a child and a misdemeanor count of child abuse.
Chief Deputy District Attorney Tammy Eret and Public Defender John Burkey agreed Slaughenhaupt was manipulated by Hughes into believing he loved her. Burkey said Hughes promised to visit Slaughenhaupt in Grand Junction and send her money for her to travel to see him in Canada.
“I don’t see her as a pedophile,” Eret said. “I see her as somebody who took advantage of the situation, and we may not see her back here (in court).”
Eret said Hughes, on the other hand, is “clearly a pedophile” who has been charged with several similar crimes in which he persuaded other people to molest children for his own gratification.
Eret said she thought the most appropriate punishment for Slaughenhaupt was to spend time in community corrections in addition to probation, but Slaughenhaupt was rejected from the program.
Both Eret and Burkey said they were puzzled by probation officials’ recommendation that Slaughenhaupt be sentenced to prison, as well as a report that indicated she was not remorseful. Burkey said the time he has spent with Slaughenhaupt has indicated the exact opposite.
“It’s almost as if I have one person here, and somehow there is a doppelganger out there who is Debra Slaughenhaupt,” Burkey said.
Gurley called the case “pathetic” and said it was clear to him that Slaughenhaupt was under a delusion that Hughes was going to come down to Colorado from Toronto and “take you away.”
In addition to probation and jail, Gurley prohibited Slaughenhaupt from using or owning a computer and accessing the Internet. She also cannot have contact with children and must undergo sex offender treatment.
View the article here
A 14-year-old St. Charles boy faces felony charges after police say he forced a girl of the same age to take pornographic photos of herself and distribute them over the Internet.
The boy, who is not being named because of his age, is scheduled to appear in juvenile court Nov. 9 on a charge of possession and distribution of child pornography, police said Monday.
He was arrested without incident at his home late Friday after a monthlong investigation that included a forensic analysis of his computer hard drive.
The investigation found the boy had threatened a 14-year-old girl, telling her to take "several illicit photographs of herself," then instructed her to e-mail them to an account he had created, police said in a news release.
He also sent one of the photographs to another juvenile through instant messaging, authorities said.
The St. Charles police spokesman said the victim and suspect each live on the city's east side. Police were not releasing additional information Monday.
The boy has been remanded to the Kane County Youth Detention Facility pending his next court date.
View the article here
Click the link above to watch these video. I strongly believe this is all related to these harsh sex offender laws. No teacher, or male for that matter, wants anything to do with kids anymore, and this is very, very sad.
John Walsh has been telling people that men should not baby sit, and other things, so he is one who is helping this insanity along.
Next men will be vanishing from Boys Scouts, Boys Clubs, any job where men are dealing with kids. No male wants anything to do with kids, they could be thrown in prison for something they did not do. And again, this is very, very sad. Sounds to me like the feminist movement has done their job.